Let the word of Christ in all its richness find a home in you.
The Commission for Evangelisation and Formation (CEF) was created in January 2007 with a very wide remit and was officially launched in May 2007 with a major event in Brentwood Cathedral, at which Fr Gerald O’Collins SJ was the guest speaker.
We take our inspiration from the words of St Paul in his Letter to the Colossians quoted above, and from Pope Paul VI, who, in his great encyclical "Evangelisation in the Modern World" (Evangelii Nuntiandi), described Christ as the ‘greatest evangeliser’. He also taught that evangelisation is the task of every Christian. CEF’s role is to help every member of our Diocese to appreciate and live out this calling.
Evangelisation is not the old ‘knocking on doors’, often dreaded by both those doing it and those on the receiving end. It is sharing our faith with others, both with those who share our beliefs and those who do not. CEF promotes and offers a variety of events which reach out to Catholics and other Christians and which welcome everyone who would like to participate.
• To promote and develop the work of evangelisation in all its forms throughout the Diocese of Brentwood and beyond.
• To support outreach to those who are yet to hear the Good News.
• To encourage all Catholics to practice their faith actively.
• To support and develop the work of the Diocesan Pastoral Council and Pastoral Support Team.
• To encourage the implementation of the Diocesan Vision.
• To provide for the pastoral formation of lay Catholics in a changing church.
• Pastoral training courses
• To provide pastoral support for those with particular needs