- To distinguish the distinctive aims of catechesis, evangelisation and religious education; to appreciate the significance of key Church documents; and to enable participants to have a deeper understanding of the distinctive nature of Catholic education and the mission of the Catholic school in faith formation.
- Explore ways in which RE can best facilitate religious growth and development of all children in the Catholic school;
- Discover how liturgy and prayer might contribute to the religious experience of children and to the life of the school;
- Examine some important elements of RE in terms of content, method and assessment;
- Consider ways of applying some of the national strategy guidance to religious education;
- Overview of pedagogies appropriate for the teaching of religious education;
- Assess appropriate styles for different types of topic;
- Address the leaning needs of different groups of children;
- Incorporate assessment for learning effectively.
The Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies (CCRS) is an eight module programme managed and awarded by the Board of Religious Studies on behalf of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales. Any person who is or wishes to be involved in Catholic education and formation may apply for this course. This includes those involved in Religious Education in schools, Parish Catechesis and other ministries in the Church. The course seeks to ensure that participants have at least a basic knowledge and understanding of the beliefs of the Catholic Faith.
The course aims to:
- Provide teachers, those involved in parish ministry and other ministry contexts with knowledge and understanding of the teaching and beliefs of the Catholic Faith;
- Develop an appreciation of the principles of Catholic education at all levels;
- Employ and encourage sound adult educational processes which express central values of Catholic Life;
- Enhance understanding of education within the Church as a life-long process;
- Enable all participants to make an informed contribution to their chosen field of ministry within the Church.
The course can be completed within one academic year providing the specific number of dedicated hours of study have been achieved for each module (lecture & tutorial) and the module assignment has received a minimum of a pass grade. Those studying for the CCRS have a maximum of five years to complete the course. The entire course costs £400 per person which includes registration with the National Board of Religious Studies.
For further information including links to the registration form, please click here.