- The purpose of this module is to introduce participants to the writings in the Old Testament in order to help them to recognise God’s Revelation contained there and its continuing relevance in Christian life today.
- Be familiar with the books and types of literature which make up the Old Testament and be able to set them in their context;
- Be able to make connections between a particular type of literature and the belief the words express;
- Recognise the diversity of images of God in the Old Testament;
- Appreciate the significance of the covenant relationship for the people of Israel;
- Understand the relevance of the Old Testament and its use in the Catholic community today;
- Be able to communicate what they have learned from an adult stance.
The Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies (CCRS) is an eight module programme managed and awarded by the Board of Religious Studies on behalf of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales. Any person who is or wishes to be involved in Catholic education and formation may apply for this course. This includes those involved in Religious Education in schools, Parish Catechesis and other ministries in the Church. The course seeks to ensure that participants have at least a basic knowledge and understanding of the beliefs of the Catholic Faith.
The course aims to:
- Provide teachers, those involved in parish ministry and other ministry contexts with knowledge and understanding of the teaching and beliefs of the Catholic Faith;
- Develop an appreciation of the principles of Catholic education at all levels;
- Employ and encourage sound adult educational processes which express central values of Catholic Life;
- Enhance understanding of education within the Church as a life-long process;
- Enable all participants to make an informed contribution to their chosen field of ministry within the Church.
The course can be completed within one academic year providing the specific number of dedicated hours of study have been achieved for each module (lecture & tutorial) and the module assignment has received a minimum of a pass grade. Those studying for the CCRS have a maximum of five years to complete the course. The entire course costs £400 per person which includes registration with the National Board of Religious Studies.
For further information including links to the registration form, please click here.