- The purpose of this module is to develop participants’ understanding and appreciation of the Sacraments in the life of Catholics as a sign of Christ’s continuing presence with the Church.
- Recognise the symbolic use of word and action in daily life;
- Understand the relevance and purpose of the seven sacraments in the life of the individual and the Christian community;
- Appreciate Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist as sacraments of Christian initiation;
- Appreciate the sacraments as celebrations of the covenant relationship between Christ and the Church;
- Be able to communicate what they have learned from an adult stance.
The Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies (CCRS) is an eight module programme managed and awarded by the Board of Religious Studies on behalf of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales. Any person who is or wishes to be involved in Catholic education and formation may apply for this course. This includes those involved in Religious Education in schools, Parish Catechesis and other ministries in the Church. The course seeks to ensure that participants have at least a basic knowledge and understanding of the beliefs of the Catholic Faith.
The course aims to:
- Provide teachers, those involved in parish ministry and other ministry contexts with knowledge and understanding of the teaching and beliefs of the Catholic Faith;
- Develop an appreciation of the principles of Catholic education at all levels;
- Employ and encourage sound adult educational processes which express central values of Catholic Life;
- Enhance understanding of education within the Church as a life-long process;
- Enable all participants to make an informed contribution to their chosen field of ministry within the Church.
The course can be completed within one academic year providing the specific number of dedicated hours of study have been achieved for each module (lecture & tutorial) and the module assignment has received a minimum of a pass grade. Those studying for the CCRS have a maximum of five years to complete the course. The entire course costs £400 per person which includes registration with the National Board of Religious Studies.
For further information including links to the registration form, please click here.